Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Prologue

I always knew I would die alone; I just never thought it would be so soon. What else should I expect? I was living on borrowed time, and I knew it. He said he would come back for me. I barely escaped with my life after our first encounter three years ago.

That fateful day in my past altered my life permanently. I no longer trusted people. I didn’t see how I could, considering he was supposed to take care of my family. The only person I allowed into my world was my brother. Of course he endured that horrible day and had his world turned upside down as well. I have even kept my father at arm’s length. It took me three years to attempt to live my life again. I had finally let my guard down and found the best friends I could ever imagine. I also found the love of my life.

I was not surprised he found me. I think he waited until I was finally happy. He knew it would hurt more with so much to lose. This time he left a large body count in the wake of his destruction. Before, it was my mother who sacrificed her life in order to save me. Now, he was making me pay for getting away. Unfortunately, innocent people had to lose their lives.

So much unnecessary death and it was my fault. I survived the first time, and all it did was enrage him. He had three years to plan his next move. I never thought he would involve anyone but me. The first murder was a shock to the entire campus. There had never been such a heinous crime in the history of the college. I knew the minute the details were released that he had come back for me.

He thought this out too perfectly. For me, there was no escape this time. No one would hear my screams or even realize I was missing until it was too late. My friends believed I was going home for the weekend to visit my brother. I would not be missed until I did not show up back at the dorm Sunday evening. That was the way it had to be. I had to be sure he could not harm anyone but me. He had to finish with me this time. It was the only way to stop the senseless deaths that were my fault.

Tears were streaming down my face as I thought of all I was losing this time. Before, I lost my mother. This time I could lose my father, brother, the man I loved or my newly found friends. My life was finally coming together and I had to run away from it to save everyone that I loved. I knew what I was doing when I came here to meet him. I was on a head-on collision with my own death, but my sacrifice would be worth it to save the ones I loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment